Online Safety and Your Mac ComputerArticle Posted by Expert Author: Jesse Schwarz on 10/31/2014
For the concerned parent, the security and filtering measures put in place by high speed Internet providers are a good start in keeping questionable material away from your children, but there is more you can do. If you own a Mac and run Mac OS Tiger, the parental control settings provide even more protection and security. All you have to do is make sure everything is set up the right way.
Here’s what to do:
- Log in as the system administrator to gain access to the computer’s settings. Your personal account is probably the system administrator’s account if you’re the one who purchased the system.
- Click the Apple icon in the “Finder” menu bar.
- Scroll down to “System Preferences” and click “Accounts.”
- Select the user account to which you want to apply the new parental control settings.
- Click “Parental Controls.”
- Set up each account according to your personal preferences. Remember, you’ll have to set the parental controls for each account individually for the changes to take effect on all user accounts. The good news is that you can customize the settings for all your kids’ accounts, depending on age and the type of Internet usage you expect from them.
Because high speed Internet providers don’t affect the parental control features on your computer’s operating system, it’s necessary to set the security levels manually. Luckily, this is easy to do, and doesn’t take a lot of time. Many people don’t realize that operating systems come with parental controls that can be tailored to suit your family’s needs. Take advantage of these tools, instead of letting them sit on your computer unused. These parental controls are free and work well, so it makes sense to take a few minutes out of your day to set them up for each user account on the computer. Plus, this way you won’t have to worry about limiting your own browsing and filtering preferences. Your kids will be safe while they surf, and you can continue to use the Internet without security measures intended for your children getting in the way.
Some more tips
The great thing about the parental controls on your computer’s operating system is that you can change the settings according to your personal needs – you can’t always do this with the software offered by Internet service providers. Set the filters and blocks to a level that is appropriate for the applicable child. The level you set will depend on the age of your kid. The higher the settings, the safer your kids will be. You always have the ability to go back and alter the settings as your needs change. The Internet and the nature of online threats continue to evolve as time goes by. Although you may be satisfied with your parental control settings for now, it’s important to make changes as your needs develop over time.
If some of the menu options are dimmed and inaccessible, click the Lock icon to open up all your options and enable other functions.
For more useful safety information, visit http://www.internet-serviceproviders.net.
Article Posted In: kids safety
Categories: internet service, parental controls, kids safety, anti virus software,